Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Crockpot Apple Butter

One of the main reasons my husband loves the restaurant Cracker Barrel so much, is for their biscuits and apple butter. The man could make a meal strictly from a glass of sweet tea and a plate full of biscuits smeared with apple butter. To help with his addiction, I devised a simple recipe using my humongous crockpot to make apple butter with no straining and pretty much no work involved. Less work, more eating is my philosophy and I'm sticking to it. 


Cast of players for Crock Pot Apple Butter:

8-12 medium sized apples ( I don't use one particular type. I love to mix it up with whatever apples I have on hand)
1 Tbs. Vanilla Extract
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cloves
2 tsp. Cinnamon



Core and peel the apples and cut them up- doesn't have to be pretty. I use an apple corer for this step, it takes a lot less time. 


Throw them in the pot with the vanilla and I use a few drops of water to help with the steam. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours stirring occasionally. I have to use the Keep Warm setting on my crock pot since it gets warmer than most. 






After the apples start to look mushy, add in the sugar, brown sugar, and spices. Continue to cook for at least 3-4 more hours and stirring every once and a while if needed. 


When it's done it will be a darker brown and smooth and will smell absolutely delicious! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment