Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Baking- It's What I Do

I've been so inundated with orders for cakes and desserts lately, the rest of my life has kind of come to a pause. Not that I'm complaining, but it's probably a bad thing when you're so exhausted you fall asleep decorating sugar cookies and your face falls into your royal icing. Sleep has become a delicacy, but I'm loving every minute of it. 

Starting your own baking business is comparable to having a newborn baby in the house. You're getting no sleep, your hair gets combed enough to put it in a pony tail and get it out of your face, there are chronic bags under your eyes, you're up all hours of the night, and there isn't a spot on your clothing that's not covered in some sort of mystery substance. 

I'm happiest in my kitchen, looking the way I described above, with music blaring and my KitchenAid mixer going. Strangely, I just discovered today how eclectic my music taste is. How does one person go from listening to Broadway show tunes, to old country, to Metallica in a matter of 30 minutes? I don't know, but this chick does. 

Today, I want to share with you all my latest creations and what makes me happiest. These are just a few things I've worked on lately:


These are various decorated sugar cookies I did for Valentine's Day orders. Afterwards, I got a call from our local newspaper and they ordered 15 dozen from me!



My first western themed baby shower cake. I was so proud of my design! My parents-to-be unfortunately didn't get to enjoy it. They're very large boxer snuck into the dining room and devoured it while no one was looking!


I had a customer ask me for sugar-free Valentine treats. Of course sugar-free is blasphemy in my house, but I was happy to oblige! ;) These are sugar-free red velvet cupcakes with whipped milk chocolate icing. They were a hit! I'm now expanding my sugar-free line and adding some some vegan and gluten-free treats also.


One of my favorite cakes I've done! This was for a cupcake themed 1st birthday and it was so much fun. I mean, who doesn't love giant cupcakes?


Last, but not least, my husband took this photo of me before he left for work that morning. I had been up all night decorating the 15 dozen cookies for the newspaper. As you can see, I'm exhausted but still smiling!


No comments:

Post a Comment