Wednesday, January 30, 2013

No Bake Day

I recently had strep throat and let me tell you, I know I'm getting older now because my body cannot recover from it like it used to. I watch my daughter, who has it now, bounce around and still play with her brother and sister while having a 101 fever and it gives further evidence to my old body theory.

I have missed cooking and baking so much since I've been sick, I woke up this morning wanting to make something delicious for the family. Since I'm still recovering, but not running on all cylinders I knew I needed something easy, but decadent. I'm sharing two of my favorite no bake pies with ya'll today. Neither require baking, unless you bake your own pie crust. Today, I will refer to you as an overachiever if you do make your own crust. Yes, I'm jealous that you have energy and I don't. 

The first pie is called a Butterfinger Pie. My cousin shared this recipe with me and I could literally sit and eat the whole thing myself. The other pie is a Chocolate Cream Pie and it comes into my dreams sometimes and tells me I need to make it. It's just that good.

Butterfinger Pie

The Cast:



6 regular size Butterfinger candy bars, crushed
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 12 oz. carton Cool Whip
1 graham cracker crust

Directions:

Mix first three ingredients together.
Spread into pie crust.
Chill until set.
Top with crushed Butterfinger bits


Easy Peasy Chocolate Cream Pie

The Cast:

8oz. softened cream cheese
1/3  cup plus 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
½ cup sugar
½ sifted cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Graham cracker crust or cookie crust
(In this pie, I made a graham cracker crust and added cocoa powder. I also baked it in a springform pan.)

Whipped topping:

1 cup ice cold heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp granulated sugar
Chocolate Shavings or semi-sweet morsels (optional)

For filling:

Whip cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add in sifted cocoa powder and vanilla and whip until creamy. Spread into pie crust and refrigerate while making the whipped topping.

For Topping:

Combine all ingredients and whip on 4 in your KitchenAid mixer until fluffy peaks appear. Spread over chocolate mixture and sprinkle with chocolate shavings or chocolate chips if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment