Monday, December 17, 2012

Cake Happens.

Well it finally happened! I had my first cake disaster this weekend. Now that I'm finally composed enough to talk about it, I will confess my sin against cake. I went to pull the Gender Reveal cake I did Friday out of the fridge so I could put it in the cake box and I slipped in some sugar I had spilled on the floor and I dropped the entire two tiered cake. Some landed in the floor, but the majority landed in a big crumbled pile on my prep table. After crying hysterically and washing the cake and icing off of my hands and arms, I had to do the most difficult thing I've done since I began doing cakes. I had to call my customer and tell her that her creation that she needed tonight, was all over my kitchen floor. 

She could tell I was completely distraught and she asked if there was any way of saving at least enough where they could still have something for the party. I quickly thought of cake pops. I took the cake that was still edible and mixed it with some of the remaining cream cheese icing I had made and formed the cake into cupcakes. I froze them for a few minutes and then iced them with the remaining cream cheese icing and pearl dust. Disaster averted! 

My customer's mother picked them up and they enjoyed a dinner before they learned the news that they were having a baby girl by unwrapping the cupcakes. 

It still pains me to talk about this, but I also want everyone to know at the same time that kitchen disasters happen to everyone. The best chefs in the world have had their own kitchen mess-ups. You have to just pick yourself up, take a deep breath, and begin again. 

To redeem myself, and because I'm so excited about their new baby girl, I'll be making something special for their new addition. I'll post pictures as soon as I'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment