Monday, December 26, 2011

Homemade Peanut Butter Toffee Fudge

Do you ever have dreams about desserts? I seem to have these sort of dreams around a few times a week. I'm not sure if it means my addiction to food and cooking has gotten out of hand, but frankly I don't care. My name is Julia and I am a foodie.

Two nights ago, I dreamed of my grandmother's fudge. Maybe it was the impending Christmas holiday that led me to dream about it, I'm not sure. Every year my granny made homemade fudge at Christmas time, along with all of her other goodies. Today, I was experimenting with her fudge recipe and all roads led me to throwing peanut butter into the mix. I have a love affair with peanut butter and when you mix it with chocolate, magic happens in my soul.

Here's the cast that you'll need to experience this magic:


9x9 greased square pan
2 cups of granulated sugar
3T light corn syrup
1T unsalted butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup Heath bar toffee chips
2T Hershey's cocoa
Crushed walnuts (optional)


Mix sugar, corn syrup, butter, and evaporated milk together in a large saucepan and stir until boiling. 


After the mixture is nice and bubbly (takes around 5 min.) switch to low heat, add in the cocoa and toffee chips and continue to stir for another 5 minutes while constantly stirring. Is your arm getting tired yet? Mine too.


Remove from heat and add in the cup of peanut butter. Slowing stir until the peanut butter is fully blended into the chocolate mixture. The mixture will be shiny at first, but after everything begins to blend perfectly it will become dull. Now it's time to transfer it to your pan so it can set up. 


After pouring the mixture into your greased pans, lightly (or heavily) sprinkle crushed walnuts over the top and lightly press them down into the fudge. Some like to add the nuts in while they're still mixing the fudge, I like to put them on top for a delicious crust. Cover and refrigerate for around 2 hours or until fully cooled and firm. Then, you can either 1) Cut it into squares and share with your loved ones or 2) sit with the whole pan in your lap and devour it all yourself. 


*Note- #2 is only an option and should only be attempted by trained professionals such as myself ;) 







No comments:

Post a Comment